Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The perfect water resistant and protective case for the Yaesu FT-840.

I use my FT-840 portable when camping or this coming next week during field day. I have been looking for some protective case to haul my Yaesu FT-840 for quite a while so I carried the measurements of the receiver in my blackberry in case I came across a suitable case. Yesterday I came across a plastic case by "Really Useful Box" It was the 8.1 Liter size. (Yes they are a Euro company) It was stocked in my local Staples store and made for #20 sized envelopes.

I checked the measurements by grabbing a ruler from a different aisle. To my surprise it fit almost perfect width wise and height wise.

What is nice about it is I am certain the way the top fits it will actually be fairly water resistant. You will never be able to throw it in a lake but if you get caught in a downpour it will protect the rig from the rain. I am thinking a good characteristic on field day just in case of the weird freak rainstorms in the afternoon we seem to have in Northern Ohio right around 4:30 - 5:00 almost daily.


Pretty snug, the only way this is going to move is front to back. It wont move up and down or side to side much. There is plenty of room in the back for the hand mic to lock it into place.


Nice sturdy corners to absorb some josteling. My three year old bumped into one of these when nothing was inside. It fell abotu 5 foot to the floor and didnt shatter. That is a new one for me. Well constructed and exactly what I was looking for.





They also stack nicely inside of each other. Incidentally the measurements fit my MFJ-969 perfectly too. So I bought two for portable operation.


I am pretty sure my Icom IC-728 will fit nicely in this box as well. I am probably going to wind up with 4 of these boxes.



Link to the box at Staples
http://tinyurl.com/boxft840

And their USA version webpage 
USA - Really Useful Boxes Website 




No comments:

Post a Comment