Monday, June 18, 2012

The Yaesu FT-840 R2213 Resistor Replacement

The R2213 resistor in the Yaesu FT-840 is the one design flaw which will eventually take your rig down.

The existing resistor is 3w and it gets SUPER hot and starts burning the board. Eventually it will blow up and take nearby parts with it. Maybe the whole board. So the fix is simple.. replace it before it becomes a problem. The new resistor is 30w and anchored to the case so it displaces the heat. Now the case gets warm in that area but no where near hot. I cant imagine how hot that part was inside the case.

 The part is a 4 dollar resistor and the repair is pretty easy to do. I have two FT-840s and I love them both. Whatever I can do to prolong the life of these rigs is good for me.

First things first.

Where I was told by 2 others to get the part was here.

http://www.digikey.com/

What you are looking for is

Bourns P/N PWR221T-30-8R20F for $3.23

On the digikey page I entered "PWR221T-30-8R20F" as the part number.

and came up with this page.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?x=0&y=0&lang=en&site=us&KeyWords=PWR221T-30-8R20F


What that is, is a 8.2 Ohm 30W Power Resistor. The hole on the top of it is designed to be bolted to a metal case or heat sink to dissipate the heat.Afer you install this on the back of the case it will get warm but it will NOT be too hot to the touch. This part takes the heat off the board and uses the case of the rig as a heatsink.

That is the part on my desk ready for the installation.

On to the replacement task.

The first step is to remove the covers.

1. The Top Cover comes off first. Make sure you mark down on a piece of paper exactly where the screws go. They are really easy to strip out and the ones on the sides are 2 different sizes. If you put them back in your will strip the holes out. When you remove the 5 screws (four on the sides and one in the back) The top cover is ready to come off. Take it off gently because there is a connector connected to the internal speaker still under the case. Make sure you disconnect the speaker connector and set the top cover on the side.

2. The bottom cover. There are various screws on the bottom those are the only screws to remove. Make sure to mark where those screws go as well. They seem to all be the same size but it is always safer to put them right back where they came from.

3. At this point the radio should look like this.


The R2213 Resistor is in the bottom left of the picture

Here is a close up with a light below the part.

Underneath the board you will see it stamped R2213. The white cylinder is the resistor in question.

I have two of these rigs and they were both mounted differently from each other.

I measured resistance across the resistor and found they BOTH measured 9.1 ohms. Not 8.2 incidentally the replacement resistor also measured 9.1 before installation.

I saw people remove the resistor a few different ways. I opted for the easier of 2 ways. I saw the two poles coming up to the resistor and decided to use those to solder the resistor wires to.

I gave the resistor a snip on both sides and removed the undersized resistor.


Then I was left with this.


The poles were well soldered into the board and they really seemed to be well attaached to the board. I left them there. If you wanted to mess with it more you could remove the screws on the board (there are about 6-7 screws and then that white connector right below the R2213 resistor is also connected underneath. So be careful of that. I am sure the purists will say to desolder the poles and put the wires right into the board but this worked quite nicely and seems very secure. The heat will be away from this board now so I am guessing that the heat in this area will be non-existent now.

At this point you will need some wire to solder to the leads of the new resistor. Tin the wires on both ends and attach one end to the resistor and then solder the wire to the posts of the old resistor. I used heat shrink tubing on the connectors. I really dont think it would ever touch the case but why even risk it.

So when you get it attached it will look something like this.


Check your solder joints. Mine were rock solid and didnt require any more work. It was attached to the post well and the post was still very solid to the board.

At this point you are going to have to drill a hole in you beloved case. Find a bolt that fits through the resistor, find a nut and I used a lock washer too. Why not? I also colored the head of the bolt with a red marker so it looks different from the other ones if someone else winds up with my rig 30 years from now.

A nice high speed metal drill bit will make quick work of the case. I used the bolt as a guide for the whole size I needed. 




Watch out for those metal shavings. Those things can get magnetic and stick to things only to kill your rig when you spend all this time making this repair only to smoke it with those shavings. This is the position I drilled the hole with that way the shaving fell in front of the case or on the table behind.


Done with the hole ready to mount the resistor.

Once you have the hole drilled route the resistor to the hole and attach it with the bolt. tighten it so that you cant move the resistor you want a good mechanical connection to the case so that the resistor can transfer the heat to the metal case.


Now the resistor is mounted to the case. The heat the resistor generates will use that corner of the case to dissipate the extra heat and save your radio from the dreaded R2213 resistor.


For good measure I threw a zip tie on the wires and attached them to the existing wires in the area. Just to neaten up the job and protect the wires that much better.


Now you put the cases back on the radio and test. I SWEAR I hear people better now. I know that is psychosomatic and not real. It is nice piece of mind to have this resistor replaced. Both my radios are in GREAT shape from looking at the inside and outside of the cases. I really enjoy these radios too. I was a little nervous about cutting that resistor and doing the repair job but not anymore.

I also wanted to document this procedure as detailed as possible so ANYONE could follow these directions and do the mod. This is the spirit of Amateur Radio for me.

Special thanks to all the folks that guided me on this repair.

Tim WO9U  (Thanks your pictures and the words that inspired me. "100 bucks or a 3 dollar part")

Chuck WD4HXG (Thanks for the info on the Yaesu repair info!)

also Splittingwedge off /r/amateurradio who really started me off and piqued my curiosity.

My radios are repaired now. I have been pounding on them for a few days and I am satisfied with the repair now.






35 comments:

  1. Thanks for this write up. Made the resistor change without any issues. 73 de K5WRN

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this info john. I did the same thing with my FT-840 two weeks ago. the radio works fine on RX and TX except the S-meter is always on S7 even without antenna. after checking the voltages inside the radio, I found out that the 7805 regulator (Q2901) output is only 2.7v instead of 5v. R2213 act as a current limiter for the Q2901. it gets really hot and somehow the value had change. so after changing this resistor, the radio S-meter works fine again. Q2901 also supply 5v to the CPU(Q2009) and Q1050 which drive the S-meter. anyone that have a problem with the FT-840 memory and S-meter that wont go down past S7 even without antenna, check R2213 or Q2901. one of them might be defective.

    73 de DU3LHI

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John my 840 does not turn on the r2213 is open if I short the ends it turns on/off as often as the button is pushed Thank You Rob VE3RQB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice write up. I just acquired a ft-840 that's in mint condition. The original owner only used it for a short time. I ordered this resistor as it seems like a save investment to make on this nice little radio.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Been running rock solid for me for 2+ years now. on both my FT-840s. Good little mod that makes sense to me.

      Delete
    2. can someone tell me what gauge wire is best for this resister mod?

      Delete
  5. Just got mine fixed, last minute I think.. my pal has to do the same with he's ft840.

    Thanks from OZ2RIF.

    ReplyDelete
  6. John, thanks for the detail and photos. I've had my barely used late model run 840 for a few months and saw this mod recommended. Your walk through is superb. I'll take the plunge in the near future, as its a AWESOME little rig! 73 from Cliff W3KKO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks john I have just changed the resistor in my 840 using this method and part. and the standard resistor did get very toasty in there. I also added some time to the back of the new resistor when mounted on the chassis. to aid thermal transferee. It does get quite warm that part of the case now for sure, surprising really, but better than failure of the original part.


    thanks for the guide john.

    73's

    ReplyDelete
  8. Digi-Key amazing I order from them and I received it in only 6 days in AFRICA !!!! Thanx John

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you had any trouble with the audio amplifier and audio out of the FT840? I just acquired one and no audio.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this fine guide John!
    First I changed only the original resistor into a 5W version. But this resistor ran also very hot, for sure not good for the components, especially the electrolytic capacitors around. Also the oscillator unit is not far away. So I have now made your mod and additionally applied a thin layer of thermal grease on the back of the resistor.
    It is amazing, the screw and metal plate around the resistor still gets quite warm. This shows, this mode is really very recommendable to give this fine radio a long life!

    Vy 73! Herbert, OE5BFM

    ReplyDelete
  12. John, my compliments on an excellent presentation! I have the resistor on order and look forward to doing the mod. Just one silly question - what gauge wire did you use to connect the resistor?

    Len - WB2TVU

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greetings 73 ", my name is Javier KP4RS.I am looking for the Yaesu FT840 board that is connected to J2026 and has two regulators a 7805 and a 7809. Where can I get this sircuito or board. Thanks for the help you can give me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did replace R2213 with the recommended resistor from Digikey and bolted it to the back panel. My FT840 was missing the external audio output jack. I had trouble finding one with the straight inline footprint of the original jack. Yaesu parts was no help. That got my audio working but now I have another intermittent problem. Power output is super low so I only use the radio for receiving and a 20 amp power supply. The FT840 will for no apparent reason shut off and a few seconds later the meter lamp will come back on and the S meter may stay at 3/4 scale but the radio is not on and working. If I cycle the power from the power supply then the rig works again. No clue what happens and the problem may not happen for days or it might happen within 30 minutes of power up. Since I have to cycle the power from the power supply anyway I can't turn it off then check voltages. So where do I look for the cause of this problem? I know the rig has 13.6volts to it when this occurs. Google has not been my friend on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One odd thing that happens when the rig turns itself off and I recycle the power. All memories are erased. The rig normally remembers the last frequency and mode used on each band but after this those are also set to defaults (1.800 lsb, 3.500 lsb, 7.000 lsb, 10.000, 14.000 usb, etc). I have no clue why it does a cpu reset and deletes all saved memories.

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello... This mod can fix the blinking Screen ???

      Delete
  16. The datasheet for https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=PWR221T-30-8R20F
    at
    https://www.bourns.com/docs/Product-Datasheets/PWR221T-30.pdf
    states that the 8.2 ohm resistor we are talking about is actually a 2.25 watt resistor if no heat sink is used. With a proper heat sink it is rated at 30 watts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reply dear... I check and measure 20 Ohm .. Now I have screen blink problem, may be this mod can fix it ???

      Delete
  17. Also you can buy the resistir here:
    https://www.arrow.com/en/products/pwr221t-30-8r20f/bourns
    €2.82 shipment included to europe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks John
    I have ordered the resistor and will do the mod as soon as I get it. Much appreciated. I added a link from my site to this article. I hope you don't mind. https://www.computer7.com/yaesu-ft-840-modification-for-27mhz/

    Kind Regards Dean

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there. can you tell me what gauge wire is best for this resister mod?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That resistor is not passing a lot of current, maybe an amp at most so wire from 22AWG up through 18AWG would be ok. I used 18AWG insulated stranded wire which is a little large but worked.

      Delete
    2. thanks much for the reply. next challenge is to find hookup wire locally. electronics parts hard to come by these days.

      Delete
  20. Pardon for the late entry
    Found an Arcol AP821 type non inductive 20W power 8E2 resistor at RS-Components stock number 810-1511
    as I do not have access to DigiKey for the same resistor you are mentioning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that should work fine mine was not the same part as mentioned and it worked well. Can't look up details about what I used as got stuck in UK because of covid !

      Delete
  21. Thanks for the write up well laid out. I got FT 840 a while back had been used very hard on FB bands. Intermittent faults every where so did the resistor mod and a couple of capacitors and then thought while I had the board out changed all the electrolytic capacitors as well not much more work. And they are getting on a bit especially with the onboard toaster. !!

    ReplyDelete
  22. 5volt 9volt regulator s are ok 8.2ohms resister is ok battery ok all connectors resoldered 10.485xtl ok but display is flashing .Lv is 0 to 4.7 .

    ReplyDelete
  23. When i Removed tcxo pcb and switch on rig found display not blinking but as soon as I change frequency it blinks for moment and again stop blinking. In this case only AM noise i heard but no other ssb or cw. Should i replace 10.4895 xtl?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Does extending the resistor legs that long add any measurable or undesirable capacitance?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi, I made the modification, I took an 8.2 ohm 35W resistor and mounted it approximately where you mounted it. Thanks for the guide ( too bad I can't put my photos in the comments )

    ReplyDelete